So how can we care for a person who is depressed?
To begin, it is helpful to remember what depression feels like to the one who is depressed.
- It feels like being hungry when you know you’re well fed.
- It feels like fatigue, tired after a long day, after a long life.
- It feels a little bit like shame and guilt.
- It feels a little bit like anger. Angry at who? Angry at what? “I don’t know. I’m just angry.”
- It feels something like nothingness. Like a blank screen in an empty theater and you’re all alone and it was supposed to be the story of your life.
As caregivers, please try to remember what it feels like to be depressed.