A reader asks, A friend of ours has a husband who is out of the country serving in the military. How can we as neighbors be supportive of her?
My friend Karen Melinn offers this advice:
Heather, the girl that grew up next door to us has been going through this. I usually talk to her once a week, and some of her friends do really nice things for her. Here’s how they’ve helped:
- They have helped Heather with carpooling her kids
- They have invited her kids to join them for dinner without Heather, so she has time off
- Two of her friends took her on a special weekend outing for her wedding anniversary while her mom took care of her kids.
- One of their guy friends takes their two sons out about every other week to do “guy stuff.”
- When her husband Tim has a Skype phone call with her, one of her friends comes over to entertain the kids so Heather has some time to talk to Tim alone after the kids have talked to him.
What caring, thoughtful neighbors to help military families in this way!