When you have a friend who is feeling low, bringing them homemade food is such a special way to show that you care. However, not all of us enjoy cooking, so here is an idea for you to try.
My sister Loretta (who DOES love to cook) shared this homemade chocolate sauce recipe with me. She said, “Karen, you should make this chocolate sauce. This recipe is simple, quick, and absolutely delicious.”
She was right. It was easy to make and scrumptious! It made the perfect little gift for a friend of mine who had recently received bad news. A bonus: the recipe makes two cups; so, I could give some away and still have some for Larry and me.
Recipe for Loretta’s Chocolate Sauce
2 C sugar
¼ C flour
2/3 C cocoa powder
2 C milk
4 T butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together dry ingredients: sugar, flour, cocoa.
- In saucepan: combine milk, butter, and vanilla. Heat and stir until butter is melted.
- Add sugar/flour/cocoa mixture.
- Bring to boil – stirring constantly until thickened (approximately 5-7 minutes.)
- This makes a fabulous topping for ice cream. Put it in a decorative jar with a bow and you have a nice gift to offer
- Place a scoop of ice cream (your choice of flavor- vanilla, mint chocolate chip, or French silk are always yummy) in between two slices of chocolate cake or two chocolate chip cookies. Drizzle the chocolate sauce on top (you may heat the sauce prior to topping if you wish)
It’s a real crowd pleaser!
A modified version of this post first appeared on the Take Them a Meal website.