Bill Hybels in his book, The Power of a Whisper, speaks about promptings and gentle nudges from God.
“Whispers (or nudges) from God are real. He is just not a God who sits on his heavenly throne: He is a God who sits with you in the car, the plane, the train, the bus, the hospital room, the doctor’s surgery, the classroom, the office, at work, at home. God is near…near enough to whisper to you his words of assurance, his words of warning and admonishment, his words of renewal and refinement.”
To determine if a whisper/nudge is from God, Bill suggests considering the following:
- Ask God: Is this whisper/message consistent with your message and who I know you to be? Does it align with your character?
- Is it Scriptural? What would Jesus do? What did Jesus do? What would Jesus think? What did Jesus think? How would Jesus feel?
- Is it Wise? God’s whispers/nudges do not go against wisdom and common sense.
- Is it in tune with your own character? Are these whispers from God aligned with the way you are wired as a person?
- What do the people you most trust think about it? Do you think this is really a nudge/whisper from God? Seek Godly counsel from great friends in the Lord.
Listen for God nudges/whispers.