A fun way to involve children in caregiving is to include them when you are preparing meals to give to those who are going through a difficult time. There is a wonderful website called, “Take Them A Meal (takethemameal.com) In a post on that website, Adina Bailey, gives ideas on how to include your child in meal taking:
1. Ask your child to color/draw a picture or make a homemade card for the meal recipient.
2. Print out the menu and let your child decorate it with stickers, markers, etc.
3. Let your child select the dessert and make it together. Cookies are a great selection because you can make them on the day prior to your scheduled meal.
4. Ask your child to help you label the packaged meal items.
5. Decorate a brown shopping bag with construction paper hearts or flowers and deliver the meal items in the cheerful bag.
7. Invite your child to help you deliver the meal. Most people eagerly welcome a child and the child would be part of the gift.
Note: Remember your attitude in the meal preparation and in the delivery is being observed by your child. Remember to model the kind of caregiver you want your child to be now and in the future.
Photo Credit: Tarah Tamayo