How I Can Help handout
When someone you know is experiencing abuse in their relationship:
- Listen and believe them! Minimizing or excusing the abuse does not help.
- Show empathy and understanding.
- Don’t automatically tell them to leave. Help them to feel empowered to explore their options, make their own decisions, and support them in their decision making.
- If they choose to remain in an abusive relationship, you could express concern for their safety and let them know that you are willing to listen and support them no matter what they decide.
- Affirm that the abuse is not their fault.
- Direct them to resources that can help with support and safety planning.
- You could say:
“I support you and I’m here for you.”
“I’m worried about your safety.”
“You deserve to feel safe, valued, and respected in your relationship.”